When it comes to baking, there is no room for error. You need a mixer that can handle everything from bread dough to cake batter with ease. In this article, we will be looking at the best stand mixers for bread dough UK.
Here below are the best stand mixer for making bread dough UK reviews that we have picked after extensive research. These food mixers meet the basic requirements we have identified to make kneading less strenuous for you.
1. Kenwood Chef XL Stand Mixer for for Bread Dough
|Kenwood Stand Mixer for Baking, Stylish Food Mixer, with K-beater, Dough Hook, Whisk and 6.7L Bowl,...||416 Reviews||£479.99 £330.00||View deal|
Last update on 2023-12-05 at 00:42 / // Source: AmazonThe Kenwood Chef XL Titanium stand mixer is a popular choice for bread dough. It has a wide range of speeds and attachments to make it easy to mix all types of dough. The mixer has a 6.7l bowl capacity, so you can make plenty of bread without having to stop and clean the bowl often. The reviews are positive, with many people saying that this is their favorite stand mixer for bread making.
- Comes with a 1200 W digital motor, a 6.7 L capacity mixing bowl, a planetary mixing action, and weighs 7.66 kg.
- Features non-stick baking tools, which include balloon whisk, K-beater, and dough-hook.
- The Kenwood Chef has variable speed control with an indicator and pulse and a splashguard.
- The mixer and baking tools are dishwasher safe.
- There is a 5-year motor assurance.
- Additional features include over 25 optional attachments and an extra-wide feed tube.
- Powerful And Reliable: The 1200 W motor ensures that you can use this machine to mix the much heavier batches of pizza dough and rye bread with ease. Its planetary action guarantees thorough, superior mixing of all ingredients.
- Versatile: There are over 25 additional attachments you can get. This means that you can customize your stand-mixer to perform the functions you specifically need for your kitchen. You can turn it into a food processor, pasta maker, or even an ice-cream maker.
- Easy-To-Use: WIth its large capacity mixing bowl, the Kenwood Chef can allow you to prepare large batches in one go and that too mostly mess-free with its splash guard feature.
- Easy-To-Clean: Done with your masterpiece and short on time? Pop the tools in the dishwasher and your clean up is done.
- This best stand mixer for home baker is a pricey stand-mixer and may not fit the budget of every home-baker.
The Kenwood Chef is a sturdy, powerful machine, perfect for the home-baker, who has the budget to afford it and is looking to diversify into other types of cooking in the foreseeable future.
Check it out, the Kenwood Chef XL Stand Mixer for Baking, KVL4100W.
2. Kitchenaid 5KSM5BER K5 Heavy Duty Mixer for Bread Dough
|Kitchenaid 5KSM5BER K5 Heavy Duty Mixer, 315 Watt, Red||52 Reviews||£550.79||View deal|
Last update on 2023-12-04 at 21:10 / // Source: AmazonThe Kitchenaid 5KSM5BER K5 Heavy Duty Mixer is one of the popular choice for stand mixers for bread making. It has a powerful motor and a 6.9l bowl capacity. The mixer is easy to use, with 10 speed setting and a bowl lift feature. Reviews are positive, with people saying that the Kitchenaid heavy duty bread mixer is powerful enough to mix even tough doughs.
- Power: 300 W, capacity: 4.83 L, weight: 12.3 kg.
- Comes with a flat beater, wire whip, dough hook, and a plastic bowl cover,
- Features 10-speed setting, easy lift design, and a pouring shield.
- Additional features include planetary mixing action ad durable metal construction.
- Durable: This all-metal appliance is built to last.
- Has Your Mixing Needs Covered: With 10 variable speed settings, a planetary mixing action, and the baking tools, this machine has all the features necessary for making the best kinds of cake mix and heavy doughs.
- Easy-To-Use: With an easy-lift design that makes adding ingredients easy, and a pouring shield that keeps the mess to a minimum, this mixer us easy to use.
- Large Capacity: The 4.83 L bowl means large batches can be made in one go.
- It is a pricey and heavy machine .
This KitchenAid Heavy Duty Mixer is best suited for passionate bakers, who have some extra cash to spare, frequently bake for large groups of people, and are looking for a mixer exclusively for baking purposes.
Check it out, the Kitchenaid 5KSM5BER K5 Heavy Duty Mixer, 315 Watt, Red.
3. KitchenAid Artisan Mixer (5KSM125BSN
|Kitchenaid 5KSM185PSBCA KitchenAid Artisan 4.8L Stand Mixer Candy Apple||3 Reviews||£579.00||View deal|
Last update on 2023-12-04 at 11:09 / // Source: AmazonThis best KitchenAid mixer for bread dough is handy for kneading dough in small quantities. Its 4.8-liter bowl is smaller compared to the previous products. However, it has a handle and slots effortlessly in place once you screw it in. You can make dough for four loaves of bread in the 4.8-litre bowl, so it is good for domestic use. Also, Artisan’s has a compact design and won’t make your kitchen countertop look cramped or tight. This is a classic mixer that is quite durable. It is commonly featured in tv baking contests like the British bake-off.
- color: pistachio, empire red, blue, etc.
- capacity: 4.8 liters
- weight: 11.1 kilograms
- motor: 300 watts, 10 speed
- size: moderately small
Artisan’s stability is fine from speeds 1 to 5. However, it starts to wobble or shake once you set it on speeds 6 to 10. You can solve this issue by holding this product as it kneads at high speeds. The dough hook of this product slams the dough on the sides of the bowl for a thorough kneading performance. This ensures that your bread dough gets the necessary consistency and stickiness that it needs.
This best stand mixer for bread dough works great for kneading smooth bread dough and bread dough with moderate stickiness. You can try using this product for kneading very sticky bread dough. However, you should know that the motor doesn’t have a lot of power to do this. That said, you may have to divide sticky bread dough in small quantities for this product to work well.
In general, Artisan has minor issues. However, these issues can be solved easily with your imagination and wits. The motor of this product isn’t powerful, but it consumes less energy. Also, Artisan’s size is comparably smaller than the previous products. That said, you need this food mixer with a dough hook if you’re running out of kitchen space.
Summary of KitchenAid Artisan For Kneading:
- works great at kneading bread dough in small quantities
- stores well in kitchens with limited space
- doesn’t consume a lot of electricity
Check it out, the KitchenAid Artisan Mixer (5KSM125BSN.
4. MisterChef® Professional Food Stand Mixer for Bread Dough
|MisterChef PRO Professional Electric Kitchen 1600W Food Stand Mixer - BIG BOWL - 3 Attachments:...||1,060 Reviews||£190.00 £120.99||View deal|
Last update on 2023-12-05 at 02:45 / // Source: AmazonMisterChef Professional Stand Mixer is our cheapest best stand mixer for kneading bread dough UK. Its weight of 6.13 kilos means that you can always carry it using a large bag or kitchen appliance box. Also, MisterChef has a compact yet sturdy design. A compact yet sturdy design makes this product look sleek and resistant against damage.
- color: white
- capacity: 5.5 liters
- weight: 6.13 kilograms
- motor: 1400 watts six-speed
- size: moderately small
This product works well at kneading very sticky bread dough. Even at the lowest speed, the motor turns the dough hook fast enough so that it won’t get stuck. Adjusting to higher speeds will allow the dough hook to beat the bread dough very hard. That said MisterChef Stand Mixer ensures that you won’t have to do a secondary kneading yourself. As soon as best stand mixer for bread doug UK finishes, all you have to do is slice the dough and bake.
Summary of MisterChef Professional Stand Mixer For Kneading:
- good for kneading very sticky bread dough
- ensures that you won’t have to do secondary kneading
Verdict: The Misterchef has a powerful motor of 1400 Watts that can power through heavy dough. It has six speeds which you can use to vary the rate at which you mix your dough at various stages of kneading. It has a tilt function so it should be easy to store in standard cabinets. The only downside is that it has no splashguard in case the mixture spilling and causing a mess. However, it has nonslippery feet made of rubber and it quite sturdy when in use. It only weighs 6.5 kgs which is neither too heavy nor too light and also has a decent-sized stainless steel bowl of 5.5 liters that is ideal for kneading bread. It has an LED light around the speed dial which gives it a cool touch. Check it out, MisterChef® Professional Electric Kitchen 1400W Food Stand Mixer.
5. Kenwood Chef Titanium
|Kenwood Chef Titanium Stand Mixer for Baking - Powerful and Stylish Kitchen Machine in Silver, with...||201 Reviews||View deal|
Last update on 2023-12-04 at 23:54 / // Source: AmazonKenwood Chef Titanium is a great stand mixer for kneading small batches to heavy bread dough. The 1500 watt motor of this product has high torque. As a result, the dough hook of this product picks and slams bread dough weighing 2.18 kilos. This is why Kenwood Chef is perfect for making pieces of bread that require heavy dough.
- color: glossy gray
- capacity: 4.6 liters
- weight: 9.2 kilograms
- motor: 1500 watt, 6 speed
- size: moderately large
The aluminum bowl of Kenwood Chef Titanium is resistant against scratching. You won’t have to worry about it getting damaged due to the force of the dough hook and other attachments. Also, the aluminum bowl doesn’t get dented easily so you can always cramp it together with other kitchenwares in the cabinet.
Summary of Kenwood Chef Titanium For Kneading:
- has a high torque motor that’s perfect for kneading heavy bread dough
- has a dent-resistant, scratch-resistant, and anti-stick aluminum bowl
Verdict: This mixer is well suited for kneading bread because it has a powerful motor of 1500 Watts and stainless steel metallic attachments that are heat resistant. The bowl has handles and is a decent size of 4.6 liters which is big enough for close to four loves in one batch. It also has a tilt head which makes it easy to fit into a standard cabinet. It has a good start and pulse button that goes from zero to ten in addition to the six speeds you can use to control how the dough is kneading. It is quite durable because it is made of an aluminum exterior. Check it out, here Kenwood Chef Titanium Stand Mixer for Baking - Powerful and Stylish Kitchen Machine.
Best Stand Mixer for Bread Dough UK Buying Guide
What’s a stand mixer? A stand mixer – interchangeably known as a food mixer – is actually a machine that utilizes a revolving mechanism to execute different kitchen tasks (kneading work, whisking, whipping, and dough). This is achieved by the many attachments (typically whisks, dough hooks, and beaters) and accessories that come with it. Stand mixers have a hinged primary body with an output for various attachments and generally have simple speed options and that is not hard to use.
Just how much can I invest on a mixer?
This depends on whether you are purchasing a stand mixer with a view to keeping it long term. Basic mixers may be picked up as cheaply as under £100. But for one which can last, budget for a minimum of £150. More expensive mixers are likely to have a sturdier build quality, more functionalities and be more durable.
What sort of stand Mixer Attachments Are Actually Readily Available?
Stand mixers usually feature much more than a single outlet – the primary outlet being using rotating the device in the bowl. Additional attachments can turn your stand mixer into a multifunctional kitchen helper. Standard mixer attachments include things like a blender jug for making soups and smoothies, or perhaps crushing ice, and at times a food processor for slicing, chopping, and grating.
Many companies provide a range of stand mixer attachments to purchase. These include rollers for making pasta and specialized ravioli manufacturers. Additionally, there are grinders or mincers for processing meat, slicers, pre-freeze ice cream bowls, millers, juicers, and spiralisers. Attachments and accessories are able to take up a considerable amount of space in the kitchen. Search for attachments that can be stored inside the bowl to save space or those that have extras inside the bowl or even include a storage box.
What to Look for in a Stand Mixer for Bread Making?
Bowl capacity: For bread kneading the average capacity is around 4 5 liters. Some could be as small as 3.3 litres, but Larger six-liter-plus bowls are perfect for heavy bakers. Bowls are typically made of stainless steel (cheaper variants could have a clear plastic base). Though they could be glass material, which allows one to always keep a watch on the components as they blend.
Equipment: Most mixers are going to have 3 attachments as standard. A dough hook for kneading bread, a balloon whisk for whipping cream, eggs as well as gentle mixtures, along a beater for batters, biscuit dough, and common mixing. Also, lookout for a Flexi or maybe scraper beater – a device with a silicone rim which will help to scrape down the bowl as it mixes. Yet another accessory that is typical is actually a splashguard – this is important for stopping the contents of the bowl from leaking out during vigorous mixing.
Speed: The vast majority of stand mixers make use of planetary blending action. Planetary action simply means that the tool orbits as the arm moves around the bowl. This activity must indicate that the combination is actually moved towards the centre of the bowl instead of being flung out to the sides for consistent mixing. Each mixer is going to have a range of speeds, managed by a dial or maybe a slider. This enables you to control the pace as you would like.
Slow start and pause functions: There might additionally be a’ soft start’ slower speed to avoid good ingredients, like flour, puffing out before the pace ramps up. Another helpful feature is actually a pause function. This momentarily stops the mixing to enable you to add ingredients, before going back to exactly the same speed. Some mixers might additionally have pre-set programs for food types including cake or even gentle’ fold’ alternatives.
Additional versatility extras: Other complementary features in a stand mixer may include weighing scales, illumination of the bowl to give you a better idea of what is happening inside the bowl. A countdown timer which will help stop over mixing, and sensors that help adapt to the required speed when tackling heavier loads.
Other considerations: A sturdy mixer that does not wobble when tackling dense dough; motor power and attachments that can efficiently mix all of the ingredients at the exact same time; dishwasher compatible for easy cleaning. If you wash manually a mixer that can easily be disassembled will also make it easy for you to clean.
What is a Bread?
Bread or loaf is a baked food that is made of wheat flour, water, and yeast. To improve taste, sometimes people add milk, eggs, fruits, spices and sugar. This food is quite popular as one of the best staple food in the most part of the world today.
- Manufacturers sometimes add additives such as calcium and sodium propionate and propionic acid to help keep the bread fresh, prevent bacteria growth, increase its shell life and improve its texture, nutrition, and flavor. They sometimes also add oxidizing agents and emulsifiers to shorten proofing time and making slicing easier.
- Apart from the commonly used wheat flour, people also use rye or wheat flour plus less gluten flours such as oats, rice, sorghum, and millet flour
- You can also make gluten-free bread out of cassava, beans, corn or almond flour . But, these types of bread is dense as they lack gluten. To improve its texture, you can add eggs or corn starch. This helps adds gluten to the non-wheat flour.
- Gluten is the type of protein that gives bread its structure, elastic nature, making it important for bread making. It is commonly found in wheat flour, rye and barley
- Air pockets in the bread is the result of produced carbon dioxide gas during bread leavening
- Do not overcook, burn or overprocess your bread as doing so creates a crust that is carcinogenic. Check this https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4745522/
- You can eat bread with butter, soup or make a sandwiches. Apart from eating it, you can also use it for making breadcrumbs for thickening sauces or for coating other types of food
- Bread is nutritious providing not only carbohydrates but also a good number of nutrients such as iron, magnesium, vitamin B and selenium.It is also a source of dietary roughage and antioxidants
There are 4 common ways of making bread dough:
- Straight dough – This is where all the ingredients (need to be fresh) are combined at once and mixed together using a stand mixer or a food processor with a dough hook . After mixing, the is dough is left to rest for 1 hour or longer before division. It is an easy and cheap way of making average bread
- Sourdough process – this is the method of using sourdough as a raising agent versus using fresh yeast. It is used in places like Alaska where the environment is not favourable for yeast. Sourdough fermentation plus lactic acid bacteria helps add flavour, improve texture and increase shell life of the gluten free bread.
- Chorleywood bread process – It is a UK industrial process of making bread in a shorter period of time. Instead of using yeast to kneed bread and wait for up to 8 hours for fermentation to take place, they use instead of water dissolved carbon dioxide. Wheat with low protein content is used; this is because Chorleywood process does not lose much protein as compared to long time fermentation, straight dough method. Vitamins, fat and yeast are also added in this process to quicken the process. The bread is full ready baked, sliced, and packed in a span of 3 to 4 hours time
- Sponge and dough – is the method of making bread wherein the second stage of bread proofing, you add other ingredients such as fruits
How to Make a Bread Dough?
- Familiarise yourself with the bread recipe https://www.bbc.co.uk/food/recipes/paul_hollywoods_crusty_83536 and the method of making it
- Check if you have the tools needed to make your bread
- Get ingredients ready. Weigh those that need so : all-purpose flour (for a high-quality bread use bread flour), sugar, yeast, salt, milk, vegetable shortening or butter.
- Mix by the hand of dough mixing machine
- Leave the dough to rest for 1 hour in a big covered bowl that will allow it to expand at a warm temperature of about 24 degrees centigrade. If you want quick fermentation to make sure to mix your dough intensely for a long. Intense mixing adds heat to the dough that helps it to raise quick, quite important, especially in a cold environment. But if the environment is hot, more than 26-degree centigrade, higher heating will cause oxidation to take place that results in loss of color and texture. To avoid this replace some of your mixing water with crushed ice or use a refrigerated mixing bowl to help keep the dough cool
- The bowl cover helps it to maintain humidity that helps to soften it.
- Leave the dough rest until it doubles the size until its peak starts to fall, that is about 70% of its fermentation time
How to Make Bread
- Oil the baking tin
- Take the fermented bread dough and punch it down on a floured surface. Punching it down also called degrassing is the act of stretching and folding the first raised dough to remove gases, air bubbles. First, stretch the raised dough with your hands then fold each side towards the center, one fold after the other. See how to fold herein pictures https://www.thespruceeats.com/how-to-fold-bread-dough-1446709
- Put the folded dough on the oiled baking tin and let it rise again (double in size) to help relax the gluten
- Use a large knife to shallow cut it on top to allow further rise on the oven
- Bake at 220-degree centigrade for 30 minutes
- Cool it on a rack
- Note: Dry ingredients are measured as a percentage of the amount of flour. This method of measuring is more accurate when compared to measuring in volume. Get the water volume right too as too little or much affects the bread texture , most often they suggest 3 parts of water to 5 parts of flour. You can replace water with milk, fruit juice or add yoghurt, buttermilk or eggs to the mixture to sweeten your bread.
- The amount of protein in flour that you use to make your bread determines the quality of your bread. This is why if possible you are advised to use bread flour versus all-purpose flour. Bread flour has a good amount of protein needed to make a quality bread when compared to other wheat flour. In case you end up using all purpose flour make sure to mix your ingredient for a short period of time to help improve gluten strength. Overmixing all purpose four results into white crumb bread versus cream crumb.
- 500g of wheat flour will give you one loaf
- Adding eggs and butter help holding the bread structure but, too much of it causes bread to divide.
- Yeast is there to add air that as a results makes bread lighter and chewable. For quick or soda breads , you can use self raising flour and add buttermilk and baking soda to help produce gases
- For best results, follow your recipe to small details
Types of Breads
- Wholemeal bread – is a type of bread made of wholemeal flour. This contains more fibres, vitamins, and minerals and uses more water during mixing than the white bread. Gluten is added to it to help it contain its structure
- Multigrain bread – is a type of loaf that uses two or more mixed grains: wholemeal, rye, white, barley, oats, millet, rice and more. Sometimes, edible seeds such as flaxseeds and pumpkin seeds are included in the mix, and gluten is added to strengthen the bread too
- Rye bread – is a type of bread made of rye flour or a mixture of wheat and rye flour. It is commonly made using the sourdough process
- Fruit bread – is standard bread that includes fruits on it. You can add dates, raisins, apricots, currants, and more
- Flatbread – is a type of bread with no leavening agent on it
What Should you look out for when purchasing a stand mixer for making bread dough?
Bread making requires a heavy duty stand mixer that can withstand the pressure of kneading dense dough. This is unlike cookies and cake making that can be made with light duty stand mixers or different baking tasks that can comfortably be handled by a medium duty food mixer.
Here are some features that mark out a heavy-duty mixer:
- It should have at least a 400-Watt power motor
- It should have variable speeds and preferably slow start capability to ward off from creating an accidental mess.
- It should have a minimum of five-quart or more stainless-steel bowl capacity.
- Most of the parts should be metals which do not wear out easily.
- It should have a decent guarantee to give you peace of mind.
Stand mixers work faster than you at any time, the most you are likely to do is scrape the bowls a few times to ensure all the dough is mixed well. Kneading by hand is energy-sapping and ineffective because you are likely to leave lumps and be less consistent. However, not every mixer is able to stand up to the rigors of bread making. Bread making goes hand in hand with dense doughs that require loads of kneading. This might overwhelm a mixer with inadequate power. Mixers which do not have adjustable speeds might also not be sufficient because you run the risk of overworking the dough if you can’t control the speed at different stages of the baking process.
For the best experience in bread making, a stand mixer is integral to your baking regime. However not all stand mixers are made the same, so you will want to pick a high-quality mixer with the proper attachments, capacity, and energy that is sufficient to manage your favorite bread recipes. Read our detailed buying guide here.
Can you use a stand mixer to knead bread?
Yes, you can use the stand mixer to knead bread. Kneading bread is what a stand mixer even cheap ones are used for apart from mixing and whipping ingredients. Every stannd mixer comes with 3 standard attachments: a dough hook for kneading a dough, beater for mixing ingredients and a whisk for whipping eggs and creams.
Does using a dough hook replace kneading?
Yes, using a dough hook that comes with your best stand mixer replaces kneading by hand. Just add the ingredients in your food mixer and let it knead your bread dough for you. Depending on the mixer you end up buying though there might be a need of using a spatula helping to scratch the mixer sides for perfect kneading but not you kneading with your hands.
How long to mix bread dough in stand mixer?
While kneading the bread dough with hands can take up to twenty-five minutes, kneading with a stand mixer takes eight to ten minutes time. You are advised to always start with low speed for at least 3 minutes until the dough clings to the hook and the bowl sides are clean then turn on to a high speed for 5 to 7 minutes until the dough is smooth and elastic.
If you under knead it, your baked loaf will be dense and flat and if you over need the dough the end product will be tough, chewy bread. Always follow your recipe to the smallest detail to know how long you should knead your bread . If no recommendation given, stick to a standard 8 to 10 minutes time.
1.Is storage an important factor to consider when looking for a food mixer for bread dough? Your storage and worktop space should influence the choice of your stand mixer. If you have limited space, compact mixers that can fit below wall units will suit you better. If you have worktops that cannot sustain the weight of bulky mixers then of course target lightweight ones that have comparable attributes to sufficiently knead bread dough.
2.What should I do with messy wires? Devices that do not have a storage compartment for cables may create a messy maze of wires on your worktops which may pose a health hazard. Such should be avoided.
3.Are dish washers safe for stand mixers? Some parts of the mixer may be safe for dish washer cleaning but it is always safe to read the instruction manual to find out if it is actually safe to wash attachments. Some accessories may have plastic parts so always check before you use the dishwasher, lest you damage your attachments.
4. What about extra parts? Look for mixers that have stand-by spares on hand in case one breaks on you. So, look for companies that provide extra bowls and attachments.
These are the best stand mixers for bread dough on the market today. With their powerful motors and durable build quality, they will make your baking experience hassle-free. experience a breeze.
Each of the products that I reviewed is the best mixer for making bread dough. That said, having one of the food mixers that I reviewed will free your hands from the pains that kneading gives. With these products at your disposal, you can make bread with lesser hassle and effort. All you have to do is put the dough in, let these products do the kneading for you.
Check the Stand Mixer Black Friday Deals UK.
Tina Peters has ten years of testing and reviewing kitchen gadgets. I am a home-trained chef. I like to make cakes, pastries, biscuits, icing, and all kinds of home baking/cooking. As someone who likes trying out new kitchen gadgets to up my cooking skills. Over the past ten years, I often find myself buying gadgets like stand mixers, food processors, mini choppers, air fryers, blenders, and all kinds of kitchen appliances. Getting value for your money whenever you purchase an item requires adequate research and testing. So I decided to collate most of the information I have gathered over ten years of using and researching different kitchen gadgets into coxonskitchen.co.uk.
Table of Contents