Find top rated, Best Slow Cooker with Timer UK 2021: Included also is a buying guide to slow cookers, reviews and prices to help you get your best slow cooker UK 2021.
Best Slow Cooker with Timer UK 2021 under £100
1. Crock-Pot Lift and Serve Digital Slow Cooker with Timer -Best Overall
- Digital Timer - Set cooking time from 30 minutes to 20 hours. Auto keep-warm means your dish is ready when you are.
- Hinged lid - Makes serving and stirring easier. Reduces worktop mess.
- Dishwasher safe bowl &lid - For easy cleaning.
- 4.7 Litre ceramic bowl - Ideal for families. Removable so you can serve at the table. Oven-safe.
- 3 Heat settings - Low, High & Keep-Warm for delicious dishes, from soups and stews to pot roasts and desserts.
Last update on 2021-07-31 at 00:22 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesThe Crockpot slow cooker is our number one best slow cooker with timer. You can set it to cooking from 30 minutes to 20 hours. And the best part, crockpot will switch itself to keep food warm automatically. This is in comparison to old models that required you to set it manually.
Crock pot comes in different sizes and prices. There is one for 2 , 3 , and one for a family of 4 peoples. Its price ranges also from £30 to £50 making it the best budget slow cooker to have.
- The Crock-Pot Lift and Serve has 3 temperature settings: low, high and keep warm.
- The low setting cooks the food for up to 7 hours while the high setting cooks up to 5 hours long
- Crockpot comes with a non-stick, hinged glass lid . This makes it easy to remove and clean.
- Depending on the size you choose, you get a non-stick, ceramic pot that is dishwasher safe. You can use this removable , ceramic pot not only for cooking but also for serving purposes. The pot, yet not suitable for induction hob. If you want the one that you can place on the hob or oven to sear ingredients, then go for Crock-Pot DuraCeramic Digital Saute Slow Cooker with Hob-Safe Pot, Anti-Stick and Easy Clean, 5 Litre (4 to 5 People) [CSC026]
- The Crockpot like many other slow cookers use less energy than cooking on oven. This is despite the fact that they cook for long time. It is good at making cheap cuts of meat tender and nice to eat.
- You can use the Crockpot for making soup, casserole, roasts, stews, chills and `desserts. You can also make curries, lasagna, puddings and more
- With it you get a recipe book to get you started and one year guarantee. It comes with a UK 3 pin plug with 24cm non-detachable cable
- When you turn it on there is an orange light that light up to show that the cooker is on. And the Crockpot case gets slightly warm when cooking but not too hot to burn one when compared to the inner pot.
2. Morphy Richards Sear and Stew Digital Slow Cooker – Best Saute Slow Cooker
- easy to use digital interface
- 3 settings - high/low/auto keep warm
- separate hob proof cooking pot
- dishwasher safe for easy cleaning
- shatterproof cooking pot for peace of mind and a toughened glass lid to monitor cooking
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 19:50 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesThe Morphy Richards Sear and Stew Digital Slow Cooker is our number one best saute slow cooker. What makes it stand out is that you can use its cooking pot on the hob for sauting and searing ingredients. Not suitable for putting it on oven though. Sauting helps to lock-in food flavors making your food taste nice.
Note: This slow cooker comes in 2 sizes: 3.5 for 3 to 4 people and 6.5 for 6 to 8 people. Here is the 3.5 Morphy Richards Sear and Stew Digital Slow Cooker 3.5L 460015 Red Slowcooker
- Morphy Richards come with a 3.5l or 6.5l shatterproof, non-stick, dishwasher safe, aluminium pot. You can use this pot also for serving purposes
- Like others, Morphy Richards slow cooker also has 3 heat settings: low, high and keep warm. When the cooker finish cooking, it goes into keep warm mode automatically for 2hrs. The low setting cooks up to 10 hrs while the high cooks up to 7hrs
- It includes a digital timer to help you set the cooking time and monitor the remaining time
- Its lid is of glass material helping you to check your food progress without the need of taking it out
- This is one of the lightweight slow cookers weighing 1.96 kg and of 30 x 25 x 20 cm dimension
- With it you get an instructional manual with recipe ideas to get you started
- No delay timer with this one though when compared to the Prestige slow cooker. Yet, being able to use it on hob makes it a good value for money
- You need to let frozen food to thaw first before cooking them
- Remember to register it online or by phone with Morphy Richards within 28 days, to get 2 years guarantee
- It comes with non-detachable UK plug
3. Cooks Professional Digital Slow Cooker with Timer – Best Size Slow Cooker for 4
- Versatile; Great for batch cooking, entertaining lots of people, cooking your food whilst you’re at work and perfect for creating delicious casseroles, sauces, whole chickens and so much more
- Large capacity; Features a generous capacity of 6.5 litres, perfect for batch cooking or cooking for a large family
- Delay function; Start the cooking process at a time that suits you so it’s perfectly cooked when you’re ready to eat it, just simply use the delay function
- Dimensions; L44 x W30 x H25cm
- Warranty; 2-year warranty*
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 12:14 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesThe Cooks Professional Digital Slow Cooker is our number one best size slow cooker for 4 people. It comes with a large 6.5 litre dishwasher safe, ceramic cooking pot with the see-through glass lid.
- Cooks Professional features 2 heat settings: low and high. Low setting can cook up to 10 hours while high setting can cook up to 7 hours long.
- It also has a delay and keep warm settings. You can set the cooker to start cooking at your own preferred time. After finishing cooking, the cooker will turn into ‘keep warm function automatically. It will keep your food warm for up to 4hrs long
- You get it under £50
- With it you can cook whole chicken, make soup, chills, sauces, curries, casseroles, and more,
- Cooks weighs 5.68 kg and of 43.5 x 30 x 24.8 cm dimension
- You get an instructional manual with recipe ideas
- To use it, prepare your ingredients, add them in the cooking pot. Then choose the temperature setting high or low and let the cooker cook.
- The Cooks Professional Digital Slow Cooker comes with one year warranty. You can extend it to 2 years by registering it within 30 days of buying it
- It does not have a light though to show that it is on. You need to trust your settings. Alternatively go for Crock-Pot DuraCeramic Digital Saute Slow Cooker with Hob-Safe Pot, Anti-Stick and Easy Clean, 5 Litre (4 to 5 People) [CSC026] under £100
- It ,yet, has a digital timer for monitoring food progress
4. Prestige – Digital Slow Cooker with Timer – Best Inexpensive Slow Cooker
- HEALTHY MEALS - Slow cook hearty, nutritious food with this no-prep slow cooker. Add in all your ingredients and keep all the goodness locked in thanks to the see through glass lid.
- TIME SAVING - Thanks to our slow cooker with timer you will be able to create delicious family meals with time to spare. Select your cooking mode and time, and you are good to go!
- STRESS FREE, FAMILY MEALS - This slow cooker 3.5l is equipped with an easy to use programmable digital control timer and a LCD display for easy and stress free operation.
- EASY TO CLEAN - This digital slow cooker with timer has a removable ceramic pot meaning cleaning it is effortless and very fast. The ceramic pot is also dishwasher safe.
- 2 YEAR GUARANTEE - The digital slow cookers 3.5 litres with timer comes with a 2 year guarantee for your complete peace of mind. It’s the little things that can make a big difference.
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 13:26 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesThe Prestige – Digital Slow Cooker is our number one best inexpensive slow cooker UK. What makes it stand out from the rest is its delay to cook timer and a see through glass lid. A delay timer will help you set at what time should the Prestige slow cooker starts to cook. You can delay it up to 16hours. And the glass lid will help you check how your food is getting on without the need to take the lid out.
- It comes with a 3.5 litre non-stick, removable, dishwasher safe ceramic pot that is good enough for 3 to 4 people. You can use it for serving too ,yet, you can not heat this pot on the hob though. Use other kitchen tools like frying pan for sauting
- It has 3 heat settings: low, high and warm. After finishing cooking the Prestige changes to keep food warm setting automatically.
- The Prestige weighs 5kg and of 35 x 25 x 25 cm size and oval in shape
- It includes a digital timer to give you progress of your food
- With it you get get 2 years guarantee that can increase to 3 if you remember to register it
- To use it, prepare ingredients by sauting first those that need so then add your content into the pot. Choose the cooking mode whether low, high or warm and set the timer. And let it do its work while you go to work.
- It comes with an instruction manual that includes few recipe ideas. This makes a need for you to buy a slow cooker recipe books if you want one.
5. Wahl James Martin Slow Cooker with LCD Digital Timer
- 4.7L ceramic pot for cooking large warming meals, such as casseroles, curries, soups and stews.
- LCD digital timer with delay function, giving you complete control over your cooking timings, ensuring your food is always perfectly cooked and ready when you want it.
- 2 heat settings (low and high) and a keep warm setting gives you a variety of options for the results you want to achieve.
- Glass lid for easy viewing
- The practicle ceramic cooking pot can be removed and used for serving, which also makes it easy to clean and dishwasher safe.
Last update on 2021-07-31 at 01:43 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesThe Wahl James Martin Digital Slow Cooker is one of the best value slow cooker UK for 3 to 5 people.
- It comes with a big 4.7 litre ceramic cooking pot in which you can use it also for serving purposes. The pot is dishwasher safe.
- Like all other ceramic pots slow cookers, this Wahl James is also not suitable for oven or hobs. Use other kitchen tools like frying pan or a normal cooking pot to sear or saute ingredients
- It can delay cooking for up to 20 hours long depending on how you set it. And it auto keeps the food warm after finishing cooking up to 4 hrs long
- Wahl James also comes with a see-through glass lid. This help you to check the food progress without removing the lid.
- The lid and the pot are all dishwasher safe
- There is three heat settings: low, high and keep warm
- It also has a digital timer that gives you control over food timings
- You get a booklet with handful recipes to get you started
- You can use the Wahl James for making soups, stews, casseroles, and more
For best slow cooker multi cooker, check our reviews on best multi cookers.
What is a Slow Cooker?
A slow cooker also referred to as crockpot is a kitchen tool that cooks food very slow. It is quite handy for busy Moms. You can set it to start cooking in the morning when you are going to work and set it finish at the time you are back home. A slow cooker includes:
- a glass lid with clips for keeping the lid in place and steam vent for releasing extra steam
- heater-housing also called a base with metal liner. This is the one that surrounds the cooking pot. This slow cooker base has temperature hob, feet and handles. Between the liner and the housing there is heater bands that create and transfer heat to the cooking pot. There is also a gap between them that reduces overheating on the outside.
- 2 or more heat settings (low, medium and high) . Low settings cook food up to 10 hours long while high setting cook up to 6hrs. It is good to set high first for 1 hour then reduce to low.
- Delay cooking and keep it warm modes
- digital timer. To some that does not include a timer, you can use external one
- cooking pot made of ceramic or porcelain material. The pot also act as a heat reservoir. Its capacity range from 500ml to 7 litre. Ceramic pots are very good at retaining heat when compared to aluminum or steel. But, the steel heats up quicker and cools faster and is suitable for stovetop cooking. This becomes handy when you want to brown your ingredients first.
- Thermostats that raise water to a boiling temperature and then auto-lowers the heat . This help the cooker to cook in a steady temperature.
How Slow Cooker Works?
- You add ingredients into a cooking pot plus water or stock
- Put the lid and turns it on
- Food in slow cookers stays hot for long time. This becomes handy if you want to take your food and go eat it somewhere else.
- Slow cookers use less water to cook this is because they do not allow water to evaporate while cooking. You , thus, need to reduce the amount of water up to half if you are using recipes that are not set for slow cooking. The water left need to be good enough to cover the food though.
What Can You Use the Slow Cooker For?
You can use your slow cooker for:
- Cooking brisket, pork shoulder, beef chuck and other cheap and tough cuts of meat. Meat that does not toughen when cooked for long time. These tend to produce tasty stew than those of expensive cuts when slow cooked.
- Making soups, stews, casseroles, curries, meatloaf, sauces and dips
- Cooking chicken legs and thighs but not chicken breast as they are too lean and soft
- Note: You need to brown the meat/chicken first before cooking to enhance food flavors
- Making porridge or poached fish
- Check the best slow cooker recipes here.
Is Slow Cooker Worth It?
Slow cooker is worth it if you are kind of person who cooks cheap cuts of meat often or like making homemade sauces, dips, soup, casserole, stews, curries and more.
- It makes cooked food available when you need it. You add the ingredient, set it and let it cook and keep your food warm until you come back from work or school
- It saves you money cooking your own food versus ordering ready made food. You also save energy as slow cookers use low electricity compared to ovens
- It is good for homeowners using solar panels. This is because its power is good enough to power the pressure cooker that draws under 1KW to cook.
- It allows a large batches of food at once, freeze it and use it once needed and you get real good tasty meal
- It all you need for cooking cheap and tough cuts of meat in time and energy efficient
- Slow cooking pots are easier to clean than high heat post. This is because they are glazed and exposed to low cooking temperature.
Disadvantages of Slow Cooking
- If you slow cook food that are not suitable for slow cooker might cause nutrients loss. Browning vegetables first before cooking them help reducing vitamin loss. Vitamins get lost also when boiling vegetables on hot water
- Not suitable for places with unreliable power supply as this might cause undercook.
- Frequent lid removal might cause moisture and heat loss resulting into uncooked food. Trust your recipe and let the cooker do its work.
Which Foods are Not Suitable for Slow Cooking
- Raw beans such as kidney and broad beans. Slow cookers cook food below water boiling point. This is not good enough to remove toxins in beans. In case you want to slow cook them make them to boil them them first for 30 minutes in a traditional cooker. Or, you can soak them overnight, discard the water and then boil them. You boil them for 10 minutes before slow cooking them. Or good enough use canned beans.
Tips and Safety
- Rub the cooking pot with oil or spray it with non-stick cooking spray. This will make it easy to clean it later on.
- Defrost your ingredients first before slow cooking them. This will help them cook well.
- Add the cooking ingredients half-full or 2/3 depending on the instructional manual . This is for quality and safety purpose
- When cooking many food at once, lay hard vegetables first before adding meat and poultry. This is because hard vegetables takes long to cook than meat.
- Keep the lid locked during cooking times, removing it here and there increases is not good. It slows down the cooker for 20 minutes every time you take it out to check on food progress.
- Cook grains such as pasta and rice separately or add them at the end of cooking process to avoid them being soggy. You need to pre boil them partial before adding them as the slow cookers don’t get hot enough to cook the rice/pasta
- Cheese, milk and creams also need to be added at the last hour to avoid curdling
- Add soft vegetables such as mushroom and tomatoes near the end of cooking process
- Use a food thermometer to check if your food is well cooked .
- Do not add too much spices like chills in your food while cooking. This is because the longer you cook them the hotter they become. You can add a bit near the end of cooking
- For wine and alcohols to make food taste need to evaporate a bit, slow cookers does not allow evaporation. Add only small amount if necessary.
Buying Guide: What to Look For when Buying a Slow Cooker
- Price -Slow cookers are quite cheap, you can get one for as low as £20 and a multi slow cooker for up to £150. The price base on the pot size and functionalities.
- Size : Do you want 1.8 litre slow cooker or a 7 litre. Choose one based on your family size or what you want it for. For instance is it for making side dishes or main meal? 3litre is a good enough for individuals, and 6 litre for family size. For couples, 3 to 5 litre is good enough.
- Pot material: Do you want a ceramic, aluminum or stainless steel pot? Ceramic pots keep the food warm for long time than metal pots.
- Dishwasher safe: Do you have a preferable way of washing your dishes. Would you like a dishwasher safe pot or any. Aluminum pots are not dishwasher safe.
- Timer – Some cooker include a digital timer some not and this might determine the price you pay. With digital timer in place you can easily set your cooker to delay cooking
- Other Functions: Dou you want a slow multi cooker that can also pressure cook, steam, bake, airy fry, grill and more. Or you simply want a single purpose cooker? If you want to stay on budget or already have other appliances then simple slow cooker is all you need.
- Pre-sets: Some slow cookers have pre set programmes to help you reduce gueswork. Choose one based on your cooking skills, interest and need.
Foods Not Suitable for Slow Cooker
Not every food is suitable for slow cookers, some are not like:
- Raw meat: Adding raw meat in your slow cooker makes your stew taste bland. If you want your meat or chicken to taste nice you need to brown them first. While pressure cookers can saute meat, slow cooker can not. You need to use your frying pan.
- Lean meats: Slow cooking is not good for lean meat such as pork fillets and chicken breast as it makes them tough.
- Soft vegetables like courgettes and peas will turn mushy when slow cooked. This is unless you add them near the end of cooking times.
- Dairy such as milk, cheese and creams when cooked for long time tend to separate. Add them near the end of cooking session
- Meat with skin on: Slow cookers do not crisp up the meat/chicken. To avoid picking unappetizing bits of skin later on, try to roast or grill your meat first
- Seafood except squid and octopus need short time cooking not slow cooking .
- Rice and pasta cook very fast, you do not need to slow cook them as will make them soggy. Cook them separately.