Best Rice Cooker UK 2021? Find top rice cookers reviews, prices, and a buying guide below. We have reviewed a good number of them for 1 to 2 people, 3 to 4, and even for a large family. Most of them include a steam basket for steaming vegetables and fish, a measuring cup, a spatula, and an instructional manual with recipes to get you started.
Best Rice Cooker UK 2021
1. Yum Asia Sakura Rice Cooker – Best Rice Cooker 2021
The Yum Asia Sakura Rice Cooker is our number one best rice cooker UK 2021. The thing that makes it stand out from the rest is that it can cook all kinds of rice to perfection. And makes it stay warm up to 24hours long. Its 1.5 litre bowl can cook not only for 8 people but also for one person. But when cooking a small amount do not let it stay in keep-warm function for long as it might burn.
- PERFECT RICE AT THE TOUCH OF A BUTTON - White/long grain, short grain/sushi and brown rice settings using 7 different cooking phases to automatically achieve the best taste, texture and aroma
- ADVANCED FUZZY LOGIC RICE COOKER TECHNOLOGY - Computer controlled 7-phase rice cooking technology with tailored useful multifunctional options including steam, porridge, casserole, soup, cake baking, crust (Tahdig), slow cook and yoghurt. Including...
- HIGH QUALITY 5-LAYER 2mm NINJA CERAMIC COATED INNER BOWL – durable and healthy with easy to read silk print water level lines and easy-lift handles. Stainless steel inner lid. Including instruction manual, quick start guide, steam basket, rice measuring...
- STEP INTO THE FUTURE OF RICE COOKING - Modern, ice blue, crisp, bright LED display. 10 minute countdown for the rice functions. Korean 'Motouch' control panel and 3D multi-phased heating technology in a stylish glossy body with our signature brushed...
- VERSATILE SIZE- 8 cups capacity of uncooked rice (1-8 people,) 220-240V, 50Hz with detachable UK plug.
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 18:25 / // Source: Amazon Affiliates
- Yum Asia Sakura can cook white rice, brown, short-grain, sushi, and long grain rice. This is in comparison to others that can cook only white rice or need guesswork to cook other kinds of rice.
- Apart from rice, you can also use this kitchen gadget for making rice/oats porridge, soup, and casserole. You can also use it for baking cakes, steaming vegetables, and making yogurt. And slow /fast cooking stews, chills, bolognese, beans, and other grains. Not suitable for pasta cooking though.
- It comes with 1.5 litre non-stick steel, ceramic coated cooking pot with handles. This is big enough for cooking up to 8 cups of rice. Ceramic pots make food stay warm for a long time. But, compared to steel pots, this one needs extra care. Do not scratch it, wash it in the dishwasher, or use a metal spoon or anything sharp on it to avoid removing the coating.
- The bowl has graduating marks for measuring the amount of water to use for different types of rice
- Its lid is of stainless steel material. It has a steam vent that allows excess steam to go to the condensation collector that can be emptied later
- Yum Asia Sakura weighs 5.05 kg and of 39 x 29 x 24 cm dimensional size
- It includes a digital timer to help set and monitor cooking time
- It comes with a UK plug, 220v to 240v suitable for UK and EU use. You also get European detachable power cords to use in the EU
- For peace of mind, you get 2 years guarantee and an instruction manual with a cooking guide. For more recipes, check their blog here www.greedypanda.co.uk
- With it, you also get a food-grade steaming basket, a spatula, and its holder. A soup ladle, and a measuring cup to make cooking easy.
- As always it is good to wash your rice before cooking to avoid it becoming sticky.
2. M4Y Rice Cooker – Best Brown Rice Cooker for 4, 5 to 6 People
- ✔️PERFECTLY COOKED RICE EVERYTIME – Our M4Y rice cooker produces perfect rice every time, the multi-functional cooker can be used with all types of rice, white, wholegrain, jasmine rice, basmati, arborio, long grain rice, sushi plus many more. With...
- ✔️HIGH AND LOW SETTING SLOW COOKER – This smart cooker also has a slow cooker function, choose between low setting (up to 10 hours of cooking time) and high setting ( up to 5 hours of cooking time) The slow cooker also has a sauté function so you...
- ✔️SMART STEAM – The M4Y cooker also has an extremely useful steamer function, this can be used for steaming fresh fish to freshly steamed vegetables ready to accompany the beef stew you have just cooked in the slow cooker.
- ✔️DELAY TIMER, 12 MINUTE COUNT DOWN AND KEEP WARM FUNCTIONS – this user-friendly cooker has a 15 hr delay timer which can be use with the rice settings, 12 minute countdown so you know when your food will be ready and a keep warm function which can...
- ✔️SIMPLE TO USE AND EASY TO CLEAN - this brilliant kitchen device will become your new best friend, so versatile and practical , it comes with very easy to follow instructions and we have included some useful recipes as well as hints and tips as to...
Last update on 2021-07-31 at 00:24 / // Source: Amazon AffiliatesM4Y Rice Cooker is our number one best brown rice cooker for a family of 4, 5 to 6 people. To make cooking easy and faster, the cooker includes preset settings for cooking brown rice.Apart from brown rice, M4Y can also cook a variety of short and long grain rice such as jasmine, basmati, and sushi.It can also slow cook stews, beans, curries, soup, puddings, and more up 10 hours. And the best part is that this cooker can also saute ingredients. You can use it for browning onions, spices, and meat to help add flavors to your food.
- M4Y Rice Cooker comes with a 1.2 litre non-sticky cooking pot
- You also get a steamer for steaming veg and fish, a measuring cup, a spatula, and a water collector
- M4Y can delay cooking up to 15 hours and keep your food warm up to 10 hours long
- The cooker weighs 2kg and of 25 x 25 x 24 cm dimensional size
- You get an instruction manual with a lot of recipes for rice dishes. it also includes recipes for its slow cooker to get you started
- With a price of less than £50, M4Y is worth buying it.
3. Geepas Rice Cooker with Steamer – Best Jasmine Rice Cooker
The Geepas Rice Cooker with Steamer is our number one best Jasmine rice cooker. It is good at cooking not only long grain rice but also all other kinds of rice such as “white rice, basmati, and arborio.
It comes in different sizes: 0.6 litre for 2 people, 1litre for 3 to 4 person, and 1.8l for a family of 5 to 6. There is also a 2.2 and 2.8 litre Geepas Rice Cooker for a large family.
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONS - This pot features three different functions namely cook, steam and keep warm. It allows you to choose how you prepare your rice. After cooking, you can also keep your food warm using 'Keep Warm' function. The steam function lets you...
- TEMPERED GLASS LID - This rice cooker has a sturdy lid made from tempered glass. It has a stainless steel rim that fixes it into place. It does not get smoky and lets you watch your rice as they are being cooked. For both safety and convenience, the glass...
- 0.6L LARGE CAPACITY, ACCESSORIES - This pot has a large capacity of 0.6L. It enables you to cook up to 2 servings of rice at a time. Now you can make large meals for the whole family. It is quick and efficient. The package includes a measuring cup and...
- EASY CLEAN NON-STICK INNER POT - The inner pot is made from a non-stick material. This coating allows tasty and healthy food without burning. The food does not stick to the bottom, and it is super easy to clean and maintain. Make healthy family meals...
- 2 YEARS MANUFACTURER WARRANTY INCLUDED
- 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONS - This pot features 3 different function namely cook, steam and keep warm. The steam function lets you cook rice healthily while preserving the nutrients. After cooking, you can also keep your food warm using 'Keep Warm' function.
- STEAMER FUNCTION – This rice cooker comes with the steamer function, which makes it different from all the other products. Steaming vegetables was never so easy with this multifunctional rice cooker.
- 1L LARGE CAPACITY, ACCESSORIES - With 1L capacity it enables you to cook large amount of rice at a time, enough quantity for big family. Now you can make meals anytime. It is quick and efficient. The package includes a measuring cup and spoon, which add...
- TEMPERED GLASS LID, EASY CLEAN NON-STICK INNER POT - This rice cooker has a sturdy lid made from tempered glass and the stainless steel rim that fixes it into place. It does not get smoky and lets you watch your rice as they are being cooked.
- 2 YEAR MANUFACTURER WARRANTY INCLUDED
- ✅ 3-IN-1 FUNCTIONS - This pot features three different functions namely cook, steam and keep warm. It allows you to choose how you prepare your rice. After cooking, you can also keep your food warm using 'Keep Warm' function. The steam function lets you...
- ✅ TEMPERED GLASS LID - This rice cooker has a sturdy lid made from tempered glass. It has a stainless steel rim that fixes it into place. It does not get smoky and lets you watch your rice as they are being cooked. For both safety and convenience, the...
- ✅ 1.8L LARGE CAPACITY, ACCESSORIES - This pot has a large capacity of 1.8L. It enables you to cook up to 10 servings of rice at a time. Now you can make large meals for the whole family. It is quick and efficient. The package includes a measuring cup...
- ✅ EASY CLEAN NON-STICK INNER POT - The inner pot is made from a non-stick material. This coating allows tasty and healthy food without burning. The food does not stick to the bottom, and it is super easy to clean and maintain. Make healthy family meals...
- ✅ 2 YEARS MANUFACTURER WARRANTY INCLUDED
Last update on 2021-07-31 at 00:24 / // Source: Amazon Affiliates
- Geepas’s cooking pot is off non-sticky material making it easy to wash with hand using warm soapy water and a soft brush. Do not scrub it while washing to avoid non-sticky material coming out
- This cooker comes with a 53.5cm wide aluminum steam basket for steaming fish and vegetables. You also get a measuring cup and a rice paddle. The best part is that you can cook rice and steam vegetables at the same time saving you more time.
- It includes a see through tempered glass lid with stainless steel rim and a handle. The pot cover the pot well but appears not fitting the steam basket well, but still works
- Geepas auto turns itself into keep warm mode after finishing cooking. It keeps your food warm as long as you want it.
- Its outer body has handles to aid moving it from one place to another and non-slip feet to keep it stable
- Geepas has a detachable power cord, you can disconnect it and store it inside the pot for safekeeping.
- To cook rice, use a 1:2 ratio. 1 cup of rice to 2 cups of water and
- For peace of mind, you get 2 years manufacturer warranty
4. Judge Mini Rice Cooker – Best Small Rice Cooker for Brown Rice
The Judge Mini Rice Cooker is our number one best small rice cooker for brown rice. It can cook all kinds of rice.Since brown rice takes longer to cook, you better wash and soak it for 30 minutes first before cooking it.
- MINI RICE COOKER FOR TWO - cooks 2 servings of perfect, deliciously fluffy rice in just 15 minutes, using steam and low pressure to get the best flavour and preserve the most nutrients
- VERY EASY TO USE - one touch operation and included measuring cup and ladle mean you simply pop in the rice and press the button for perfect rice with no effort
- PFOA-FREE NON-STICK - inner bowl with lid is very easy to clean and simply lifts out so you can take it straight from the kitchen to the table to serve
- KEEPS RICE WARM FOR UP TO 6 HOURS - fully automatic function is very energy efficient and switches to 'keep warm' mode as soon as the optimum temperature is reached
- 2 YEAR GUARANTEE BY JUDGE HOMEWARES - Judge has been trusted by families all over the world for its traditional family values, high performance products and award-winning customer service
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 18:25 / // Source: Amazon Affiliates
- It comes with a 300ml non-stick, aluminum cooking pot, good enough for couples or a family of 2 people no more. The bowl has markings for measuring the amount of water to use
- The judge comes with a measuring cup (150g), the maximum you can cook is 2 cups. You also get a spatula for serving
- It weighs 1.3kg and of 17 x 17 x 20 cm dimensional size and uses 220-240v, 50hz, 200W
- Its Aluminum pot is not dishwasher safe. You can wash it by hand since it is nonsticky. Avoid scratching it using metals or even washing rice on it to avoid nonsticky coming out
- Not suitable for cooking pasta
- And if you want to cook sushi rice try to add 10ml more water on the mixture
- You get a standard one year guarantee and UK plug
- To use the cooker, wash your rice, add in the cooker, measure the water using the provided bowl marks. Turn the cooker on and then move the switch from warm to cook.
- After finishing cooking, the cooker will auto keep your food warm for about 6hours. However, because the amount of food is too small you better keep it warm for a few hours to avoid it burning. 1 hour is better.
- When it changes from finishing cooking to keep warm, the front light changes from red to amber
- Note: make sure the cooker is on, when engaged it turns from orange to red and can cook brown rice for up to 20 minutes time. When you put the rice and water on the cooker and turns it on the main. Judge will turn into a keep warm, to start cooking you need to move the move the switch from warm to cook.
5. Russell Hobbs 19750 Rice Cooker and Steamer – Best Value Rice Cooker under £50
The Russell Hobbs 19750 Rice Cooker and Steamer is our number one best value rice cooker for a big family. It can cook up to 10 cups of rice and the minimum of 2-3 cups.If you use it for cooking one cup of rice, it might results into burnt cooked rice.
- Large 1.8 Litre capacity bowl with handy keep warm function- enough for cooking ten cups of rice
- Includes additional tray for steaming fish or vegetables
- Non-stick removable bowl
- Includes spatula and measuring cup
- Elegant and easy to clean stainless steel base with a glass lid
Last update on 2021-07-30 at 20:40 / // Source: Amazon Affiliates
- This number one best-selling rice cooker UK comes with 1.8 litre bowl. The bowl is a non-stick, removable, aluminum pot. It is not dishwasher safe but you can easily wash it by hand using warm soapy water.
- Russell Hobbs includes a measuring cup for measuring the amount of rice you want to cook. A spatula for scooping rice, use it instead of using a metal one to avoid scratching pot surface
- Its lid is of see-through glass material to help you view food progress without the need of removing the handle. It has a handle for easy lifting it up. You wash it with handy too as it is not dishwasher safe
- As a bonus, you also get a steaming basket. It is made of food-grade plastic material making it safe to use. This steamer though does not have handles making it hard to remove when it is hot.
- The Russell Hobbs rice cooker is lightweight, weighing 2.56kg. And of 32x28x24.5cm dimensional size
- After finishing cooking, it auto turns itself into keeping your food warm. Though if you keep it warm for a long time, the food will dry out, form crust at the bottom
- To use it, wash and soak your rice for 30 minutes, then use a 1:1 ratio. If not soaked, use 1:2 ratio, one cup of rice per 2 cups of water.
- The machine has 2 heat settings: one that is too hot sometimes leading to the steam coming out through the steam vent. And a medium one for simmering food.
- And there are 2 buttons for setting it on: the front button and side button. Make sure to them all on when cooking and off after finish cooking.
- Wash the lid, bowl, and steamer with warm soapy water. And clean the machine’s outer surface with a damp cloth.
- Russell Hobbs includes a user guide with instructions on how long to cook the food. For rice depending on the amount, cooking time ranges from 15 minutes to 30 minutes.
What is the Rice Cooker?
A rice cooker also known as a rice steamer is a kitchen tool for cooking plain or light seasoned rice. It cooks rice through boiling or steaming it.It includes a:
- Heating source
- Non-stick cooking pot for holding rice and
- Thermostat for measuring and controlling the temperature in the cooking pot
- Measuring cup with graduating marks on a pot for measuring ingredients
Types of Rice Cookers
There is gas , electric and induction rice cookers .
- The electric rice cookers are mainly for home use while the gas cookers are for commercial use.
- The gas rice cooker heats up very faster compared to the electric ones. This allows rice to absorb water and cook faster to give a sweeter and more firm texture.
- Induction rice cookers are the latest. They allow you to cook many types of rice not white rice only. Induction cookers heat and cook rice very faster giving you sweeter rice. They are, however, expensive and consume more energy. This is in comparison to electric and gas rice cookers
What Else Can You Use a Rice Cooker For?
Apart from cooking rice, you can also use a rice cooker for:
- You can use it for cooking other grainy foods such as barley, wheat, dried pulses
- Cooking rice / oats porridge – https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1019528-rice-cooker-steel-cut-oats
- Can cook soups and stews
- Steaming vegetables – some rice cookers come with a steaming basket to aid this
- With a temperature probe in place, you can use some of them to cook food at a stable low temperature (Sous Vide)
- Some rice cookers are multipurpose and often called multi cookers. You can use them as slow cookers, steamers, pressure cookers, yogurt maker,s, and more. And some can even bake cake and cookies.
- Making fall-off-the-bone ribs
- Making pancakes –https://kirbiecravings.com/rice-cooker-pancake/
- Make a frittata – https://www.food.com/recipe/frittata-in-a-rice-cooker-404507
- Cook cake – https://www.shinshine.com/my-blog/2012/04/rc-carrot-cake-updated.html
- Make chills – http://kitchenability.com/quick-cooking/rice-cooker-recipe-chicken-chili-recipe
- Making Chocolate Fondue – https://www.remodelaholic.com/a-fond-ue-farewell/
How Does the Rice Cooker Works?
The rice cookers work by heating the water/stock in the cooking pot to boil or steam the food.
- You measure the rice and wash it in a separate bowl to remove residuals. Use the strainer to drain the water. This will help the next measured water for cooking to be accurate
- For best texture and taste you might want to first soak your washed rice for 30 minutes before cooking it. This is not applicable though to Jasmine rice and scented rice, they do not need washing or soaking. Some advanced rice cooker , though, do the auto soaking process for you . This eliminates the need for you to do it manually
- Add rice and cold water in equal amount in the cooking pot (one cup of rice per one cup of water). You can measure the water using graduating mark in the cooking pot or measuring cups. Some rice though need hot water and some like brown rice needs more water, cross check your recipe. The graduating marks is often set for white rice water measurement. For other kinds of rice, use a measuring cup
- Add oil, salt and spices
- Plugin the cooker , turn it on and set heating to full power. This will boil and cook your rice at 100 °C for about 20 minutes to 1 hour time . The time depends on the amount of rice, power and pressure on the outside environment
- After finishing cooking, some rice cookers will turn on the ‘keep warm function’ to keep your food warm. And this helps avoiding overcooking it too.
Rice Cooker vs Pressure Cooker
A rice cooker cooking time is influenced by the area atmospheric pressure. This is versus to pressure cookers that offers the same time no matter where you are living. With rice cooker, depending on the amount of rice you cook. You might end up with uncooked rice mixed with mushy on some places. Or even burnt rice on the bottom of the cooking pot. This is because the rice cookers do not heat up the pot very fast compared to pressure cookers . This is unless you buy the induction rice cooker that cooks faster but are quite expensive.
Is Rice Cooker Worth It?
If you cook rice often then rice cooker is worth it.
- It automates the cooking process proving you with easy hands-off cooking. This saves you time and stress of monitoring. When set it cooks your rice without further attention. This is in comparison to traditional cooking methods that need constant attention.
- They are good at bulk cooking while offering consistent results
- It also frees the other cookers giving you space to cook many foods at the same time
- It is easy to clean and use
Foods Not Suitable for a Rice Cooker
- Rice stuffed vegetables
Buying Guide: What to Look For When Buying a Rice Cooker
- Capacity : Dou you want a small rice cooker to cater for one person or couples or a large one for a family use
- Price: Does you budget allows you to go for the best one with bells and whistles or go for a budget one
- Material Used : Do you want its cooking pot to be of aluminum, ceramic, copper or stainless steel?
How to Clean a Rice Cooker?
- Wash the inner non-stick cooking pot with the warm, soapy water then rinse and dry it.
- Do not scratch or use harsh cleaning products when washing the cooking bowl
- Use a damp cloth for cleaning the outer part of the rice cooker.
- Clear the heating plate of food particles that might interfere with the next cooking
- Make sure everything is clean and dry, ready for the next use.
Why is my rice sticky?
There are 2 reasons that may cause cooked rice to appear sticky. These includes rice not washed before cooking and too much cooking liquid.
- Washing rice before cooking helps to remove excess starch and residuals. Excess starch when left in without rinsing it out causes stickiness in cooked rice.
- And if you put too much water when cooking, the cooked rice will turn out to be soggy, mushy and stick. one to one water ratio is most recommended in most rice cooking recipes
How Do I Flavor My Rice before Cooking?
To add flavor in your rice do one of the following:
- Swap water with broth or stock or
- Saute herbs, spices, garlic and onions and add them straight in your cooking pot with rice ready to cook
- After finish cooking you can also stir in some chopped herbs or fruits like mangoes.